Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lace Laurel: My Sewcie Tea Dress

Quite some time ago I bought a remnant of blue lace from Tessuti. It had been sitting in my stash, as I didn't really know what to do with it. And then Melanie announced that Sewcie Tea was taking place! A high tea event with sewers - what a perfect opportunity to wear my blue lace!

I ummed and ahhed over which pattern to use. I had visions of a fitted bodice with a circle skirt, but the reality was that I didn't have that much fabric. I was also really reluctant to have the hem of a circle skirt show through, as I knew I wouldn't be able to use the selvedge.

Then Colette Patterns released Laurel - a shift dress. It was a pattern-fabric match made in heaven. The bonus is also that I know I will get a lot of wear out of this lacy dress.



I made the underlined version. I used anti-static lining from Tessuti in a antique-y silver colour. I found choosing the lining colour very difficult - thank you to Bree from Tessuti for helping.

I made a muslin and made the following alterations:

  • I made a size 8 at the shoulders and in the sleeves and a size 6 every where else. Maybe a size 4 through the waist - I had to take it in quite a bit there, but I did it on the dress rather than on the pattern, so I don't have an accurate record of the sizing in each part. 
  • I also had to take 6cm out of the neck at the back. I did this by taking 1cm out each side of the zip, and then folding the rest out above the back dart by creating a small dart (I don't actually have a neck dart on the dress, I just folded it out like a dart). I had to slash the back dart up a little (essentially making it a wee bit longer) to get the pattern piece to sit correctly. 

I wore it with my wedding shoes and jewellery. My shoes almost cost as much as my wedding dress (!) - they are Guiseppe Zanotti shoes and are divine. I bought them at Jean Brown in Brisbane over 5 years ago now! My jewellery was made by a local Brisbane designer, Chelsea De Luca (I believe she has a website), and are fabulous art deco pieces. I love being able to wear them again.

Sewcie Tea was fabulous. Here are a few pictures I 'borrowed' from sewbrunswick.blogspot.com and Melanie:

All 26 of us - didn't we look fine!

Lara (thornberry), Anna (blogless Anna), me, Leith (Sew Brunswick)

Our table - what a gorgeous bunch! 

Mingling - me, Kat, Lizzy, Rachel

All the details of yesterday are on Melanie's blog - thank you to Melanie for organising such a wonderful afternoon - I had a blast, and I know everyone else did too! 

18 comments:

  1. Your dress is gorgeous! I'm loving watching all the pics from the event pop up - it's so much fun to spot some many familiar faces all in the same place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Laurel! The colour really suits you. Sewcie Tea sounds very ladylike and civilised and a little bit posh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit bummed I didn't get a chance to come and meet you and have a proper look at your dress. It looked amazing on you! Definitely my favourite Laurel to date :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Laurel is perfect, I love the lace you chose for it and I'm envious of that great fit^^!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are so cute! Lovely dress and as always...love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Rachel, it's a beautiful dress. Looks like you had a great day too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is so DvF looking to me. Great job, you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is SO your colour, and it's lovely to see a remnant go from table to style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did look absolutely gorgeous and I was admiring those shoes and jewellery - so lovely to know that it was from your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous dress, you look hot lady! And it sounds/looks like you all had the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I spied you in that group photo. Gorgeous dress! It looks lovely on you. I'm about to make a lace dress to wear to a wedding in may. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love. Your. Dress. Simply beautiful Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Rachel,

    Looks like you guys had an amazing day :)

    I was wondering if your interested in reviewing some products from an online craft store, http://www.alacraft.com.au. We would like to send you a sample of our inventory for you to use when you like in exchange for a review of the products on your site. If your interested you can contact me at james.hatton@alacraft.com.au. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know I was ogle-ing your jewellery every chance I got - it is really beautiful, and suits you to a tee. Thanks for the name - I might have to check her out next time I'm in brissy visiting the parentals!
    Your dress is so lovely, and that lace is a perfect colour for you. Love the length too - break out the pins! You looked great in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wished I'd gotten to chat, I kept ogling your dress from afar, it's simply stunning! The lace is an amazing colour on you.

    ReplyDelete