Monday, January 21, 2013

Vogue DKNY and Sydney Sewers' Meet-Up

Hi! Thanks for all your lovely comments on my Valerie top - I hope you've started sewing yours!

This post is twofold - the first is to talk about Leith's and my upcoming trip to Sydney and the second is to show you my new Vogue 1027 - the DKNY faux-wrap dress (that I've made before).

Leith and I are going to Sydney for a sewing meet-up that Christy has organised. We arrive on Friday the 8th of February and the meet-up is scheduled for the next day. Here are the details:

When: Saturday 9th February
Time: 1pm
Where: Tessuti Fabrics Surry Hills, then to The Fabric Store.

There is some discussion regarding whether people want to go The Remnant Warehouse before 1pm -- I am VERY keen.

So - who can meet us? It is so exciting to be going to an interstate sewers' meet-up!

Next up I have my new Vogue 1027 DKNY dress to show you.




You'll probably remember that I've made this before. Well, I wore my other three versions to death during my pregnancy. They were very stretched out so I put them in the Vinnie's bin during a major clean-out I had over my holidays.

For this version, I used a cotton jesry (hehehe Leith!) by Liberty. It is 95% cotton and 5% elastane. The cotton jersey is a lot lighter than viscose jersey and perfect for this type of dress as it doesn't sag and stretch out as much.

My only alteration to the size 8 was to overlap the front bodice pieces more - if I don't do this I show a whole bunch of bony cleavage (the only bony part on me!), which just isn't attractive. Plus I want to be able to wear this to work.

I love this dress - check out the twirly skirt! Little M loved my twirling and joined in the fun.


I'm busy sewing the two frocks I want to take to Sydney -- hope some of you out there will be able to join us!

9 comments:

  1. Oh looks lovely! The fabric choice is great and thanks for the tip about jersey vs viscose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely! I may have been looking on Shaukat last night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely dress! I have the Sydney Social in my calendar. Assuming I really can wrench myself away from the kids in time I would be keen to visit The Remnant Warehouse - I've never been there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely. I haven't even touched Liberty jersey. Maybe it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice dress and you obviously love wearing it . i really love the fabric you used for the Valerie top . Where did you get it and long ago?? Thanks Mem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mem! I got it at Clegs just before Christmas. Thanks for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  6. It's been so long since I stopped by your blog, I don't know why. I just had a look around and enjoyed all the wonderful things you have been making. Beautiful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I love this dress!! I am a sucker for a soft knit dress with surplice neckline, I admit. I might have to whip one up for myself.

    ReplyDelete